Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Turning a Coffee Table Into a Unique Chalk Board

After sitting in their garage for months, I got an inspiration to transform it. No longer would it live on as a semi-odd looking coffee table, but it would be converted into a large chalk board. It was a great idea, the ornate rim of the coffee table would take on an elegant look.

First, I had my dad saw off the legs. Yes, I am very handy, but I leave the table saw skills to my engineer father.

Next, I gave the table a light sanding. Since I was using double coverage spray paint that also adheres to plastic, you don't have to go too crazy. After that was done, I painted the table Heirloom White. It is my "Go To" color on furniture project. I did a light spray on the whole piece. After that dried, I did a very thorough job on the parts of the table that would not be against the wall or covered by chalkboard paint.

I wasn't sure if I was going to distress it, but doing a great job of the paint job at this point gives you the option to keep it solid or distress. Doing a sloppy job means you really have to distress it to cover up any imperfections. After the white dried, I taped the piece to cover the Heirloom White. Then I sprayed multiple coats of chalkboard paint onto the table. I was really lucky because the day I chose to work on the project, the weather was very warm.

When using spray paint, make sure the conditions are not too cold or too humid or you will get bubbles and imperfections in the finish. The only way to fix them, sand it down and start over...not very fun

You want to make sure you give the chalkboard paint awhile to dry before putting on another coat . . . to make sure it cures. I decided to give it just a tad of distressing. I felt it looked more authentic given the period of the piece. Something about distressing makes it feel more homey and loved to me.

The last piece of the puzzle was to come up with a way to hang it. Since there is room in the frame of the table, you could hang it directly on the wall. It makes for a pretty stable set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment